Monday, April 12, 2010

The End

This is my last night writing in my house. Because tomorrow night I will either be frantically packing everything in sight or I will be eating everything in sight to empty out the fridge. Either way – I won’t be writing.

Then again, maybe tomorrow night I will just wander around the house saying goodbye to every single crevice in each and every wall. I will walk on every step, spin around every room and try and take it all in. Try and remember what this house feels like. I don’t really know how to say goodbye to a house. Every time I moved I was excited about leaving – happy. Not this time. I hate goodbyes. Leaving this house is just another loss – and I know it is not the same as losing my husband. It is just all mixed up together and feels - well I am not sure how it feels. I am numb and the words just aren’t coming so easily tonight.

I am grasping here, but I want to remember moving to this house with my husband and two year old son. I want to remember bringing my newborn girl home. I want to remember the children learning how to walk in this house, potty train and read. I want to remember all the wonderful birthday parties, moms gone wild and New Year’s Day parties we had here. I want to remember you lying in bed reading to the children and then sitting on the couch watching Fox News with a carton of ice cream in your holey sweat pants.

I need to try and suck every morsel of good times we had in this house and bring them with me. Because tonight all I see is the kitchen table where I found your suicide note and the police coming into my kitchen to tell me you are dead. It is hard to think of good times, when all I can think about is how just six short months ago I sat Shiva for you in this house.

Numb still. Like I am standing just outside my body and watching this all unfold. Like everything that has happened - it doesn’t feel like this really happened to me. I am just an outsider viewing this person go through so much tragedy and awfulness. I feel bad for her, but I don’t feel bad. I feel nothing at all.

This worries me. I am waiting for the utter despair to just hit me so hard I literally break into pieces.

I am just sitting here in my kitchen and looking around and seeing you everywhere. I am a walking contradiction. I am moving to change my life and yet I just want everything to stay the same. I want to know I will see your ghost and yet I hate the way your ghost stops me in my tracks.

I don’t know what I want. Yes I do. I want the tears to stop rolling down my face so I can type. I must be fooling myself when I said I wasn’t upset tonight. I think I am beyond what upset feels like, so I don’t have the words.

I can’t write anymore tonight.

2 comments:

  1. Get someone to videotape the house for you. Preferably with no sound. That way, you'll be able to pull it out at look around it in future without necessarily feeling the way you do now.

    Your kids will probably also want to look at the house sometime.

    Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My biggest hug to you. Love you Sweetie. You are an amazing woman.

    ReplyDelete